VITA appointments through April 15th are cancelled. Clients with current appointments will be contacted if the tax deadline is extended and WCAC is able to re-open the schedule.
For 2020, the Worcester Free Tax Service Coalition will be celebrating its 18th year of providing free tax preparation and asset building services to low income working taxpayers throughout Central Massachusetts! Through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, IRS-certified volunteers prepare taxes and specifically look for tax credits the household may be eligible for, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC) and other credits. Utilizing the free tax preparation services allows families to retain their full refund, avoiding typical preparation fees which can often run into the hundreds of dollars.
2020 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites
New for 2020 – online appointment scheduling! Click button under your preferred VITA site to complete brief pre-screening for eligibility and then you can select your desired appointment time. ** PLEASE NOTE – Appointment availability will be limited in January. If appointments appear full, please try again after February 1st.
Worcester Community Action Council, Inc.
WORCESTER: Denholm Building, Room 203, 484 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608
SOUTHBRIDGE: 61 Pine Street, Southbridge, MA 01550
Other VITA sites:
- Main South CDC, 875 Main Street, Worcester 508-752-6181
- Plumley Village, 16 Laurel Street, Worcester 508-770-0508
- Worcester State University, 486 Chandler Street, Sullivan 206, Worcester
In 2019, 29 volunteers donated 850 hours to prepare income tax returns at no cost for 910 low-income households at WCAC’s two sites, generating $1.46 million in returns – among the more than $3.59 million gnerated through the Coalition! This was all possible because of our dedicated volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering at a Worcester Free Tax Service Coalition Site during the 2020 tax season, please email email@example.com
EITC Eligibility Requirements for 2019 Tax Limits:
Qualifying Children Claimed
|Single, Head of Household, or Widowed||$15,570||$41,094||$46,703||$50,162|
|Married Filing Jointly||$21,370||$46,884||$52,493||$55,952|
Investment Income Limit
Investment income must be $3,600 or less for the year.
Maximum Credit Amounts
The maximum amount of credit for Tax Year 2019 is:
- $6,557 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,828 with two qualifying children
- $3,526 with one qualifying child
- $529 with no qualifying children
What to bring to the VITA Site:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable