In 2020, the Worcester Free Tax Service Coalition celebrated its 18th year of providing free tax preparation and asset building services to low income working taxpayers throughout Central Massachusetts! Through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, IRS-certified volunteers prepare taxes and specifically look for tax credits the household may be eligible for, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), Circuit Breaker Tax Credit, and others. Utilizing the free tax preparation services allows families to retain their full refund, avoiding typical preparation fees which can often cost hundreds of dollars.
Worcester Community Action Council (WCAC) is among the Coalition’s city wide members, comprised of a collaboration of businesses, financial institutions and non-profit organizations who work to promote free income tax credit benefits to low and moderate income working individuals and families as a strategy to build household assets and increase economic self-sufficiency.
COVID-19 caused VITA sites nation-wide to temporarily halt services mid-season, and WCAC was proud to participate in a nation-wide pilot program called Get Your Refund designed by Code for America that enabled tax preparation to continue 100% virtually and encouraged taxpayers to send all of their documentation to certified volunteers on a smartphone or computer via a secure platform. WCAC plans to continue to be able to offer this service in 2021.
In 2020, 26 volunteers donated 466 hours to prepare income tax returns at no cost for 559 low-income households at WCAC’s two sites. This was all possible because of our dedicated volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering as a VITA tax preparer during the 2021 tax season, please email
EITC Eligibility Requirements for 2019 Tax Limits:
Qualifying Children Claimed
|Single, Head of Household, or Widowed||$15,570||$41,094||$46,703||$50,162|
|Married Filing Jointly||$21,370||$46,884||$52,493||$55,952|
Investment Income Limit
Investment income must be $3,600 or less for the year.
Maximum Credit Amounts
The maximum amount of credit for Tax Year 2019 is:
- $6,557 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,828 with two qualifying children
- $3,526 with one qualifying child
- $529 with no qualifying children
What to bring to the VITA Site:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable