The Worcester Free Tax Service Coalition has a new name and a renewed commitment to maximizing refund benefits for eligible families. Formerly the Earned Income Tax Credit Coalition, the coalition’s name change reflects a concerted effort to promote the free service available to individuals and families who qualify. Through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, IRS-certified volunteers prepare taxes and specifically look for tax credits the household may be eligible for, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC) and other credits. Some households with children are eligible for tax refunds of over $6,000. Utilizing the free tax preparation services allows families to retain their full refund, avoiding typical preparation fees which can often run into the hundreds of dollars.
In 2017, a total of 1,965 households were served with a total of $3.4 million dollars returned to the local economy! This was all possible because of our dedicated volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering at a Worcester Free Tax Service Coalition Site during the 2018 tax season, please email the WFTSC Coordinator, Yasmine Shawwaf, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-757-5631 Ext. 223
(VITA) Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites & Hours for 2018
Call individual sites to set up an appointment
Worcester Community Action Council, 484 Main Street, Suite 200 Worcester 508-754-1176 x234
Monday – Wednesday, 5 – 7 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Languages offered: Spanish, Amharic, Ghanaian, Chinese
Worcester Community Action Council, Healthy Families of Southern Worcester County, 61 Pine Street, Southbridge 508-909-0061 x10
Thursday & Friday evenings through the end of March
(This site supported by a grant from the United Way of Southbridge, Sturbridge & Charlton)
Main South Community Development Corporation, 875 Main Street, Worcester 508-752-6181
Tuesday and Thursday, 5 – 8 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Languages offered: Spanish, Vietnamese, Twi, Mandarin
Plumley Village, 16 Laurel Street, Worcester 508-770-0508
Tuesdays and Thursday, 4 – 6 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Languages offered: Spanish, French
Worcester State University, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester 508-929-8424
Monday and Wednesday, 3:30 -6:30 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
(Closed February 19, March 17, 19, 21, & 24)
EITC Eligibility Requirements for 2017 Tax Limits:
|# of Children||Single Worker Income||Married Worker Income||EITC up to|
What to bring to the VITA Site:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable